Save the Date: June 22 For Scholarship Fiesta Dinner Fundraiser
The DPHS Scholarship Fiesta Dinner will be held at 6 PM on Wednesday, June 22,...
Please RSVP for Our May 25th Founders Day Program!
On Wednesday evening at 6 PM, at the Dana Point Yacht Club on Harbor Island,...
Celebrating and preserving the history of Dana Point
DPHS Museum will be closed Saturday, May 28 in observance of Memorial Day weekend.
The Search is On!
Do you or someone you know possess brochures or artifacts from the 1966 Time Capsule Event? The Society is now collecting items for an exhibit celebrating the 50th anniversary of the Time Capsule, which will occur in August. Please let us know if you have any mementos to share — we are especially looking for one of the coveted BBQ tickets presented to attendees in 1966 that promised a free BBQ in the year 2016. Contact us at 949-248-8121 or at DPHSNewsletter@gmail.com.
May Is National Preservation Month: “This Place Matters”
The National Trust has chosen This Place Matters as the 2016 national campaign theme to inspire us to celebrate the places that are meaningful in our community. What are the places in Dana Point that are important to you — places that contribute to our town’s unique character? You can read more about this concept online at https://savingplaces.org/this-place-matters#.Vx66_D9rk3F
Our Preservation Committee is pleased to spotlight the perfect example of a meaningful historic building that matters to us and to the history of Dana Point. One of the oldest buildings in our community is the new location of Coastal Kitchen, a restaurant scheduled to open between May 25 and June 1. The building, restored over the past two years, is now repurposed as a new restaurant owned by Michael and Christina Grant. The restaurant will feature lunch and dinner daily, with emphasis on fresh ingredients and quality dining, in a friendly, comfortable atmosphere. http://www.coastalkitchendanapoint.com
Preservation research has shown that good restaurants thrive in historic buildings, in areas with vintage village character including cities both large and small. Outdoor seating has also increased restaurant patronage in historic areas. An April 3, 1927 newspaper article, announcing the building’s original business, stated: “One of the first buildings to be built at Dana Point is the new service station designed by Fay R. Spangler of Santa Ana for Mrs. Anna G. Walter . . . The lessee is Carroll Lynch who will operate this service station. Light lunches will be served in a coffee shop, a part of the service station. This building is at the corner of the street of the Blue Lantern and the new Roosevelt Coast Highway.”
Whether you are dining in the main building or on the patio where the original automotive service bays once were, Coastal Kitchen will inspire interest and conversation about the past and future of Dana Point.
The Dana Point Historical Society advocates for the historic buildings that contribute to the eclectic visual character of the community and serve as reminders of Dana Point’s rich and colorful past, for the enrichment of current and future generations.
SUPPORT THE DANA POINT HISTORICAL SOCIETY THROUGH RALPHS COMMUNITY CONTRIBUTIONS PROGRAM
PARTICIPANT REGISTRATION FOR THE NEW TERM BEGINS ON SEPTEMBER 1, 2015.
There is no pre-registration! This means that the first day you can register for the new term is September 1, 2015 or after.
1. All members who are currently enrolled in the Ralphs Community Contribution Program will remain active until August 31, 2015.
2. Participants will be required to register or re-register for the new term at www.ralphs.com or by using the scanbar letter at the register starting September 1, 2015.
3. There are two ways to enroll:
1. Online (email DPHSNewsletter@gmail.com for instructions)
2. Scan-Bar letter (available at the museum if you need a copy)
4. If you received a scan-bar letter last year, it is still good and can be used this year. If you would like to receive a scan-bar letter, please respond to this email and one will be mailed to you via US post office.
5. Even if your participants registered as recently as June, July or August 2015, they will be required to register again, on or after September 1, 2015.
6. Your organization does NOT need to re-register, only your participants.
7. This notice does not apply to participants of the Food 4 Less/Foods Co Community Rewards program
From The President
Our Historical Society is an all-volunteer...
The January Annual Meeting and dinner was a success thanks...
New Year Greetings! 2015 ended on high note with the...