34041 Chula Vista Avenue

1928, Woodruff

Mills Act: Yes

This one-story Spanish Colonial Revival bungalow is a good example of the architectural style. Built in a rectangular plan with a low pitch gable roof of red clay barrel tile, it features an arched entry gate into a front courtyard. The house has hand troweled stucco, a wrought iron window grille and a detached garage in the same style. The house was recorded as Lot #212, Tract 768 of the Dana Point Tract Map and was reported by Mr. Woodruff as one of two houses on Chula Vista Avenue being built for early realtor and investor Mrs. A.G. Walters. This is one of the ten homes recorded on that document in the Historical Society’s Woodruff Collection as financed with the Lincoln Mortgage Company. The owners are fortunate to have an original historic Woodruff era ship’s lantern streetlight and post in their front garden. These streetlights once lined Chula Vista Avenue and other “Lantern Village” streets and some of the cement post foundations still remain adjacent to the curbs, including one across the street from the Hardy’s home. It is reported that most of the 18-inch copper lanterns were stolen or scrapped during and after the war years , although a few were salvaged. Some of the lanterns were recovered, possibly from the county, by individuals who restored and installed them in their yards. In 1989, 15 were refurbished, rewired and installed on La Plaza where they can be seen today.