34021 Street of the Amber Lantern

1930, Woodruff

Mills Act: Yes

The homeowners were presented their Historic Woodruff home plaque at the September 21, 2009 City of Dana Point Planning Commission meeting. The home was also recommended for the Mills Act Tax abatement program. This Spanish Colonial Revival beach house was originally built as a one-story bungalow with an under-roof porch with wood supports. There is a low side-facing gable roof over the one-story front section and a front-facing gable over the two-story rear section that was a later addition. This endearing beach house sits on an above grade lot with well-established plants that include ferns, shrubs and unusually attractive vintage cacti. The front entrance is approached on concrete stairs decorated with tile steps and patterned tile risers. Two sets of original French doors provide light to the living room and open to the covered front veranda. The hand troweled stucco walls, red clay barrel tile roofs and wood casement windows are typical of the style. A stucco wall chimney on the south side of the house features an imbedded brick detail in the shape of a subtle cross and is topped with a brick chimney cap. Front and back patios provide ample area for outdoor entertaining and a separate guest casita features an exterior wall niche for a statue of St. Joseph that presided there before the current owners who never tire of their home’s charm.