33962 Granada

1928 Woodruff

Mills Act: Yes

The City’s Planning Commission adopted a resolution on June 1, 2009 designating this residence as a locally significant historical structure. The commission also recommended that the City Council enter into an agreement with the property owners for participation in the Mills Act Program. The homeowners were the 24th in the City of Dana Point to qualify for the attractive bronze plaque that designates their home as historic. The owners are also active in the Historical Society and their home was featured on the 2001 Home Tour. Three historic photos in the Woodruff collection show Sidney H. Woodruff with other prospective buyers or investors as the house was being finished in 1928. Many of the original features remain including the two-car garage, the unusual steel-framed casement windows capped by wooden lintels, hand trowelled stucco walls, a battered end wall chimney, red clay barrel tile roof and tile vents. The one-story Spanish Colonial Revival house is built on a sloped lot that affords ocean views to the south and east. Facing Granada is the front entry court between the two front-facing gable wings. The left wing features an arched bay window and the right wing is the garage. An original cement lantern base at the northwest corner of the property attests that Granada Drive had the original Woodruff development’s ship lanterns.