33901 El Encanto Avenue
Mills Act: Yes
Featured as the signature home, “La Casa Encantada” on the 2006 Historical Society Home Tour, this enchanting home was purchased in 2003, directly from the previous owner, with the understanding that it would be maintained as a historic Woodruff home. The Spanish Colonial Revival bungalow appears much as it did in an archival photos of the Woodruff Collection when the front patio foundation wall was being built. The one-story house is built in a cross plan with intersecting gable roofs of red clay barrel tile and a small entry porch under a separate gable with arched openings adjacent to the front patio. Architectural details include hand trowelled stucco walls, wood frame windows and a tapered wall chimney with a tiled top as part of the front facade. On the wall beneath the side gable is a large, arched feature window. The home is built on the hill side which allows for an expansive rear patio for entertaining that is built over the two-car car garage.Â The yard is landscaped with cactus plants and an established large Canary Island palm as old as the home. The 1929 house was built before the curbs and sidewalks were installed, thus a Western Construction Co. 1930 sidewalk stamp appears in front of the home. TheÂ home received a bronze Historic Woodruff Home plaque and was recommended for the the Mills Act tax abatement program at the February 1, 2006 City Council meeting.